Travel Advice from a Flight Attendant
I know many of us are still stuck at home during the COVID-19 pandemic, however I also know so many people who are hoping to still go on their vacations and trips this summer. Fingers crossed! As a flight attendant I know I’m anxious to get out and explore again so that’s why I’ve made this list of 10 pieces of travel advice to help you get ready for you next adventure post corona!
1. Be as organized as possible when packing. This not only helps you not be the asshole holding up the security line, but if you need anything out of your bag throughout your travels you will know exactly where it is and can avoid having to work up a sweat digging through your bag. I always make sure my bag of liquids & my laptop are in the front so I can pull them out easily at TSA.
2. Be smart about packing liquids. We have all had liquids burst on us, getting all over our bag, and it’s inevitably going to happen but there are lots of steps you can take to prevent it as much as possible. Especially considering how much I spend at Sephora, every dime amount of my moisturizer better be going on my face.
Use contact lens cases to save space & still bring all your skincare products! Try replacing items with non liquid products like Aveda’s Powdered Dry Shampoo *see below
3. Give yourself enough time at the airport. This is the beginning of your trip, you don’t want to start it off being stressed. Take it from a girl who is in airports almost every day. I’ve seen the airport empty when I’d expect it to be busy & I’ve seen the line for security be so long it’s going outside the airport. You never know when 100 kids are going on a field trip & all need to check a bag. Take it a step further and sign up for CLEAR. They’re the latest and greatest when it comes to airport security. Lets face it the PreCheck line now is sometimes just as long as the regular line!
4. Pack things to keep you entertained. As a flight attendant I see way too many people every day who aren’t prepared for the boring part of traveling. Bring books, an iPad with movies downloaded, charging cables or bricks. Bring headphones & keep in mind the airplane movie screens won’t accommodate your fancy iPhone or bluetooth headphones.
5. Bring copies of your identification and passport and put them each in different bags in case of an emergency. You can also have a PDF in your email or make sure to leave copies at home that someone can access if need be. You don’t want to end up stuck because someone stole your passport.
“Live with no excuses and travel with no regrets” -Oscar Wilde
6. If you’re traveling to a foreign country make sure that you do some research beforehand on their culture. You want to avoid coming across rude or stupid in another country. Some examples of things to look up are: hand gestures and body language, words or phrases that are frowned upon, tipping etiquette and whether or not there will be public restrooms available. I also highly suggest that you learn a handful of phrases if you’re going somewhere thats native language is not English. This will help you out and the locals will appreciate that you’ve taken the time to do so. Phrases to learn: Hello & Goodbye. Thank You. Where is the bathroom? How much does this cost? Also if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, learn how to ask or explain those. Ex: I’m vegetarian.
7. Plan but don’t overplan. Of course you want to make sure you hit the highlights and check off any bucket list items. However, some of the best times I’ve had during my travels is when I just wander around a city with no plan. You’ll find things you never would have found on Pinterest or google. This is also when I’ve found some of the most delicious food or cute hidden coffee shops that aren’t crowded with tourists. It also makes for the best people watching.
8. Eat, drink and be merry! Seriously you’re on vacation, so live it up. You can work on your diet later. I don’t know about you but eating is one of my favorite things about traveling and I’m not gonna skimp on it. Have dessert for dinner, order a whole bottle of wine, try something new like escargot!
“I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them” -Mark Twain
9. Always be aware of your surroundings. Look through your hotel room for anything sketchy before getting comfortable. Don’t wander around alone at night in a city you’re unfamiliar with. Always look like you know where you’re going, don’t be an easy target.
10. Travel the way that you want & enjoy it as much as possible! If you want to relax and call it a day, do it. Or maybe you don’t want to sleep till you’re back home, live it up! If you want to lay on the beach, do it. If you want to take every walking tour of the city, have at it!
I’ll see everyone back in the skies soon as a traveler and a flight attendant & I hope this travel advice helps you get ready for your next adventure!
-The Hoppy Flight Attendant
Have you checked out my last post? Go check it out to see all the things I miss about being up in the air while on leave #grounded
Liked this Post? Pin it on Pinterest:
Flight Attendant Travel Advice
Great tips! I can’t wait to start traveling again!
Thank you! I just got back to work today, it’s nice to be back but it’s definitely different.
Image Earth Travel
Enjoyed this read of your excellent tips! I always come prepared, especially for a long-haul flight from Europe to The Land of Oz. 😉
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it, hope it helps you in your future travels!
The City Next Door
Really good tips! We need to be more careful than ever during these times. Thank you!
You’re welcome! Thanks for reading. Stay safe 🙂
Can I simply just say what a comfort to discover someone that
really understands what they are talking about on the internet.
You actually know how to bring a problem to light
and make it important. More people really need to look at this and understand this side
of your story. I was surprised you are not more popular since you definitely have the gift.
Love these tips! I always make sure to leave enough time at the airport otherwise I just get stressed out! Also I didn’t know about the Aveda powdered dry shampoo so will check that out. Can’t wait to get back to proper travel.
I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the blogger lovers
except this article is genuinely a nice article, keep it up.